City go joint top but Penrith are next to bottom PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Thursday, 08 October 2020

james earl penalty.pngCarlisle City are now joint leaders of the Northern League’s Division Two after an exciting 3-2 win at Willington last night.

City’s fifth win of the season put them level on points with Bedlington Terriers who have a slightly better goal difference.

It was a good night all round for while City were winning at Willington, the Terriers were being held 0-0 at Redcar Athletic, while third-placed Crook Town could have gone top but they went down 4-3 at Tow Law.

City couldn’t have asked for a better start, awarded a penalty on six minutes which James Earl knocked home (pictured above).

It was a lively encounter and an equaliser from Luke Bailey on 35 minutes did not prove a turning point for within two minutes Dan Kirkup had headed the Cumbrians back in front.

The visitors also made a good start to the second half with a third goal, this time from Jordan Palmer on 51 minutes, very well-taken on the volley  

But the game was in the melting pot when Michael Tait netted a second for the hosts after 58 minutes to set up a nerve-racking final quarter.

City saw it through and having reached the summit -albeit as joint leaders – will be keen to cement their place starting on Saturday at Easington Colliery.

The Colliery side are only appoint behind the Cumbrians but they also slipped-up last night, held 0-0 by lowly Ryton and Crowcrook Albion.

Penrith, who will take a welcome break from the rigours of League One football on Saturday, put up a spirited performance at home to Newcastle Benfield last night before going under 2-1.

The win pushed the Newcastle side to seventh in the table while Penrith are now next to bottom, two points better-off than Bishop Auckland.

The Bonny Blues have made some faltering starts this season but this time they got off to a flyer with a goal on eight minutes from top scorer Max Brown.

They held that lead until four minutes before half-time when an unfortunate own goal from Kyle May put the visitors level.

The tide turned on 56 minutes when Peter Glen-Ravenhill put Newcastle Benfield ahead and Penrith’s hopes nose-dived when they were reduced to ten with a red card for Adam Main.

There was  a chance  of a third for Benfield four minutes from the end but experienced striker Paul Brayson missed from the penalty spot.

As I said there’s the chance of a break from League affairsf or Penrith on Saturday when they contest the FA Vase with a trip to Division Two side Brandon United, who lost recently to Carlisle City 5-0.

Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >