City youngsters earn praise in Youth Cup defeat PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Wednesday, 09 September 2020

city stockton.pngA young Carlisle City side went down 4-0 last night at Stockton Town in the preliminary round of the FA Youth Cup.

Fifteen-year-old keeper Thomas Taylor was one of the heroes for City, who were up against an older and physically bigger Stocktonside.

Under the conditions – the strong wind and the 3G surface – it proved to be an entertaining contest with City having their moments despite the seemingly clear-cut score-line.

Stockton had threatened early on with two shots which required good stops from Taylor, while a third came back off the bar.

In response Jack Hetherington tried his luck from 35 yards and it just dropped over the bar.

Taylor had to make another decent save on 19 minutes before Stockton had two players booked, one for a nasty tackle in midfield.

The hosts had been the side most likely to score, however, and they went in front on 32 minutes when Taylor was beaten by Conway who had been put clear.

At 1-0 City would have taken that at half-time but on 40 minutes a superb strike from Conway gave Taylor no chance.

City had the wind behind them in the second half but had to make a change at the break with Donnison replacing the injured Murdoch.

Four minutes into the second-half a second change saw Bell replace Lindsay.

Then shortly afterwards Kanda was booked for a foul and he seemed to come off worse, as he had to be replaced by Smith.

Despite having to make three substitutions in a short space of time City continued to make inroads and kept the home keeper McNally occupied.

Reay made him save well and he could only push behind a Hetherington effort for a corner.

A goal then could have changed the game and after Smith had a shot saved by McCally a fierce drive from Swan just cleared the bar.

Even so Stockton should have sewn-up the game up but the forward missed badly from ten yards.

McCally was the Stockton hero again after 83 minutes with a save at the expense of a corner. From the flag-kick Donnison had a chance but was wide with a header.

It had been a brave effort by the Cumbrians but in the later stages Conway completed his hat-trick with a back-post header to wrap-up the game.

City actually finished the game with ten men as Swan had to retire with an injury and deep into stoppage time Conway added his fourth.

It was a brave effort by the City youngsters and the experience will prove invaluable.

Joint manager Andrew Probert said: “Despite the result I couldn’t be more proud of these young men.”

CITY- Taylor, Carcu, Swan, Kanda, Tuddenham, Hetherington, Woollerton, Murdoch, Lindsay, Craggs, Reay SUBS- Smith, Burns, Donnison, Bell, Denby.

Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >