News arrow Football arrow Workington Reds arrow Jerome double completes a fine Reds come-back
Jerome double completes a fine Reds come-back PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Tuesday, 20 October 2020

jerome goal .pngWorkington 2, Clitheroe 1

AN absorbing clash between two unbeaten sides was settled by a brilliant goal in the second minute of the four being added on.

Reuben Jerome grabbed his second of the night with skill and aplomb as Reds came from behind to collect three precious points to move second in the table.

The Cumbrians had gone in at half-time, trailing to a 20th minute goal, and largely second best to a competent, well-organised Clitheroe side.

Manager Danny Grainger admitted: “It wasn’t a hair dryer moment but they knew at half-time I wasn’t happy with what I’d seen. Our second half performance was much better, more like we are capable of and to win it so late was a perfect ending.

“It showed, not just the quality in the side, but the spirit these lads have and how much Ruddy and I believe in them.

“But that result will only mean something if we follow-up with a win at Ossett on Saturday.”

Grainger had to bring-in 21-year-old goalkeeper Ben Ascroft, the Fleetwood Academy’s goal-keeping coach and the former Blackburn youngster did well, deputising for Jim Atkinson who was away with work.

 “It’s virtually impossible to carry two experienced keepers so we were very grateful to our friends at Blackburn for recommending Ben. He’s probably the nearest we could get to a sweeper-keeper type and he did well. If we are stuck again I wouldn’t hesitate in giving him a ring,” said the Reds boss.jerome celebrates.png

Ascroft, in fact, made a good save to keep out a shot from Cole Lonsdale which led to the goal. But his parry to the side was seized upon and played back into the danger area. In the scramble that followed defender Chris Smalley thumped the ball home.

The ball, on several occasions, just didn’t run for Reds in the first-half. Once Dav Symington fizzed a low cross invitingly close to goal without anyone getting a touch. Then Jerome made a typical run and low cross which was scooped away by keeper Chris Thompson before a Reds player could apply the finishing touch.

On several occasions penetrating runs into the area from Scott Allison, Brad Hubbold and Jerome were stopped by an outstretched Clitheroe foot as the visitors defended well.

Eight minutes into the second-half Grainger made a double substitution with club skipper Conor Tinnion replacing Brad Carroll in mid-field, and a like-for-like change at right back with Matty Clarke coming on for Jay Kelly.

danny grainger 5.pngIt brought instant reward, for on 55 minutes Tinnion threaded a fine through ball between the Clitheroe centre-backs and Jerome went on to fire past Thompson.

There weren’t many clear-cut opportunities for either side but the momentum was with the Reds and finally, in a thrilling conclusion they grabbed the winner in the 92nd minute.

Jerome had the ball out on the left, glided past two defenders and held off a third challenge before curling a superb, angled shot beyond Thompson into the far corner – great goal!

Workington: Ascroft, Kelly (Clarke 53), Brockbank, Wordsworth, Smith, Casson, Symington (Bowman 76), Carroll (Tinnion 53), Jerome, Allison, Hubbold. Subs (not used) Holt,Potts.

Goals: Jerome (55,90 + 2)

Clitheroe: Thompson, Cummings, Lonsdale, Smalley, Priestley, Muir, Adams (Gooden 56), Dent (O’Neill, Hobson (Wilkins 80), Gaul, Stopforth. Subs (not used) Foulds, Pilkington.

Goal: Smalley (20)

Referee: Helen Conley

Crowd: 400


BEN CHALLIS was behind the camera at Borough Park and he caught the drama at the end with (top) Reuben Jerome about to score Reds' late winner;  Jerome starting his and the team's celebrations and manager Danny Grainger joins in with the fans at the end.

Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >