News arrow Football arrow Workington Reds arrow Reds go top after seeing-off youthful Ossett
Reds go top after seeing-off youthful Ossett PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Saturday, 24 October 2020

scott allison.pngOssett United 0, Workington 3

Workington Reds are back on top of the League for the first time since March when their ten point lead counted for nothing as the season was voided.

Manager Danny Grainger had warned his Workington players after they had seen-off Clitheroe on Tuesday that it would mean nothing if they didn’t follow-up at Ossett.

They won comfortably in the end but a young and enthusiastic Ossett side made them work hard in the first half as they used their high energy to close down and press the Reds quite effectively.

It was certainly a performance that manager Wayne Benn would have been reasonably pleased with if he had been there instead of missing-out because he was self-isolating at home.

The goal that gave Reds lift-off came a minute before half-time and that effectively set-up the victory that Grainger insisted had to follow Tuesday’s heroics.

He acknowledged afterwards that it had been a struggle to get in front but the goal came at the right time, a minute before the interval, and set-up a confident second-half performance which took Reds to the summit of the NPL NW Division.

Ossett, as mentioned before, looked a very young side. Indeed it’s probable that some of themwillbe on duty on Tuesday night when the club stages a first round proper tie in the FA Youth Cup against Sunderland.

Opportunities for both sides had been few and far between, with neither goalkeeper seriously tested and it was a great relief when a fine goal gave Reds the lead on 44 minutes.

Liam Brockbank, rampaging down the left fired in a fierce cross and with goalkeeper Max Dearnley just hesitating that fraction, Scott Allison nipped in smartly to fire home.

It was a welcome breakthrough and a milestone goal for Allison, his 127th for the club which puts him level with Gareth Arnison as Reds’ highest goal-scorer in the last 70 years. The only two ahead of him on the all-time list are from the 30’s and 40’s – Jack Thom and Billy Charlton.

When Reds scored again three minutes after the re-start the game was virtually in the bag, and it was another quality finish.

Conor Tinnion and Allison were involved in the build-up down the right and then Brad Carroll did well to slip past a defender and pull back the perfect low cross for Reuben Jerome to expertly tuck away.

A third goal on 54 minutes killed-off the game as a contest. Tinnion slung over a right-wing corner and Sam Smith rose best to head home.

Allison was closest to extending the Reds lead, once with a lob which went just wide after the keeper had strayed too far forward, and then with a fierce shot which seemed to be screaming for the net but was deflected behind off a defender’s outstretched leg.

There was also a decent effort from lively Jay Kelly whose angled drive just cleared the woodwork.

Late on Jim Atkinson did have a scramble along his line before gathering a deflected shot while

Aaron Haswell engineered a good opportunity for himself when cutting in from the right but fired over from a great position.

The game was not a feisty, ill-tempered affair yet nine players (five Reds, four Ossett) found their way into the referee’s book – and the one red card came from easily the worst foul of the game.

Substitute Reggie Waud, on debut, scythed down Jerome from behind on 82 minutes and when the referee was advised to consult his assistant who was right next to the incident he produced the red card. Jerome had reacted by jumping-up and pushing Waud but he received a yellow card, joining team-mates Jordan Holt, Dav Symington, Brad Carroll and Sam Smith.

Waud had just signed during the week from Goole Town where he was their top goal-scorer.

Both sides actually finished the game with ten men as Jerome, who had been limping before that hefty challenge, went-off and Reds had already made their three changes.

But with the game won a numerical advantage didn’t matter and in fact it rather petered-out with the job done, and Reds back on top of the League.

Ossett United: Dearnley, Gagen (Levi-Lewis 64), Hardaker, Hogg, Burke, Clark, Connolly (Green 55), Stockdill, Normanton, Harrison (Waud 62), Haswell. Sub (not used) Teale.

 Workington: Atkinson, Kelly, Brockbank, Wordsworth, Smith (Casson 62), Hubbold, Holt, Carroll (Symington 55), Jerome, Allison, Tinnion (Potts 72). Subs (not used) Clarke, Bowman.

Goals: Allison 44, Jerome 48, Smith 54

Referee: Luke Watson

Crowd: 400


Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >