News arrow Football arrow NPL arrow Second-half collapse costs Kendal against giant killers
Second-half collapse costs Kendal against giant killers PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Monday, 21 December 2020

morgan bacon.pngKendal conceded four second-half goals to slip to defeat against FA Cup shockers Marine at Parkside Road on Saturday.

After a goal-less first-half Marine, who entertain Tottenham in the third round of the Cup, wrapped-up the points with goals from Jay Devine and Josh Hmami, and a double from Neil Kengni.

But Kendal – as things stand this evening – are back in action tomorrow night at Clitheroe as they fit in a League fixture. They are also due to be in action on Boxing Day at Colne.

They will want to put behind them a disappointing second-half against the Merseysiders but face a Clitheroe side fresh from a 2-1 friendly win at FC United of Manchester on Saturday.

Hayden Campbell, a 20-year-old on a month’s loan from Salford City, made his full Marine debut against the Cumbrians on Saturday and could have made it a scoring start. He just couldn’t quite get on the end of a fine cross from full-back Kenny Strickland on 16 minutes.

Kendal were put under a lot of pressure from set pieces in the first half, and home keeper Morgan Bacon (pictured) was forced to push away a Hmami free-kick before James Barrigan’s corner struck the crossbar.

The pitch took a battering as the heavens opened shortly before half time, but both teams soldiered on through increasingly tough conditions.

Hmami won a free-kick just on the edge of the box as the break approached, and Bacon got down well to make the save only to push it onto the leg of Anthony Miley, who deflected it out of play.

Marine pushed on in the second half and Ryan Wignall dropped a cross on the head of Barrigan just after the break, but the midfielder couldn’t quite direct it towards goal.

Niall Cummins made his return from a facial injury on the hour mark, coming on to replace Campbell. His presence had an almost immediate effect, teeing up Devine just three minutes later for the former Tranmere youth captain to slot home into the bottom corner from the edge of the box for the opening goal.

It proved a crucial opening goal because in the final ten minutes Marine lifted their game and scored three further goals.

Josh Solomon-Davies returned from injury to replace Strickland on 75 minutes, and it only took the Mariners four minutes to score after that change. It was an excellent solo effort from Hmami, who ran from his own half to slot past Bacon.

Adam Hughes showed his class at an unfamiliar end of the pitch on 85 minutes when doing well to work a shot from the edge of the box which Bacon could only parry into the path of Kengni, who gratefully tapped the ball home.

Kengni notched again to make it four in stoppage time after a great Mariners move. Wignall played a one-two with Hmami before driving down the right wing and squaring inside for Cummins, who brought out Bacon before setting up Kengni for a simple finish in an open goal.

Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >