Last quarter spoils a gritty effort from Haven PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Monday, 26 April 2021

purewal try.pngWhitehaven would have been satisfied with their performance for an hour at Featherstone.

With a much-changed line-up they had restricted the classy Rovers to a 28-14, which had been a sterling effort.

But in the last quarter of the game Fev ran in five more tries and the final score-line of 48-14 was just a bit harsh on the battling Cumbrians.

Featherstone had started strongly and were ten points ahead in as many minutes as the Haven defence was split too easily on two occasions for tries by Brett Ferres and Connor Jones, one of which was converted by Fa’amanu Brown.

But Whitehaven stormed back to cut the deficit to four points as a clever grubber kick from Aiden Roden was pursued by Karl Dixon who managed to get the touchdown. Lachlan Walmsley added the conversion.

There was only one more try for Rovers before the break when Jack Bussey ploughed over and Brown added the conversion but they had two tries disallowed for a forward pass and obstruction.

Haven made a flying start to the second-half with a try from James Worthington in the corner. Walmsley missed the kick and was soon out of the action, suffering a head injury in a heavy tackle.karl dixon try.png

Rovers scored their fourth try on 51 minutes when Craig Kopczak raced over but Whitehaven continued to pose their own problems. Debutant Aaron Purewal finished-off a superb move after a clever off-load from former Featherstone centre Jessie Joe Parker allowed Dixon to send in the new boy for his first try in rugby league.

Then three quick tries had Featherstone steaming further ahead with touchdowns for Brown, Junior Moors and Josh Hardcastle.

Connor Holliday threatened a late burst for Whitehaven but referee Aaron Moore ruled that the ball hadn’t been grounded properly.

In the last five minutes there were further Featherstone tries for Gareth Gale and Craig Hall.

Whitehaven will be looking to get back to winning ways on Sunday when they return to the Recreation Ground against Bradford Bulls.

BEN CHALLIS was at Featherstone and took the shots of new boy Aaron Purewal breaking through the home defence and Karl Dixon touching down for Haven's first try.


Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >