Battle of the giants ends all square PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Monday, 06 October 2014




The Window Outlet Cockermouth and District Snooker League entered the second round of the new season this week with a stand-out match, writes CUE BALL.

The current Division One champions, John Street and former title holders Workington Cons went head to head and came out of it with honours even at 3-3.

Fresh of the back of a thumping 6-0 victory at Maryport Labour last week the John Street side quickly moved into a 2-1 lead with wins for Shaun Ayre and Tony Elliott.

Nevertheless up for the challenge and with the help of breaks of 37 (Alan Moore) and 26 (Julian Plaza) the Cons outfit showed great resolve in delivering a very satisfying draw.

Last season’s Division Two champions might have thought they were in for a relatively easy ride against Workington Legion, however as Sandy Smith took the golf clubs current county champion Rob Sim out with room to spare he made the perfect start for the Legionnaires.

Winning the second frame by just a point Mark Brasted made it 1-1 and with fellow golfers Phil Sorfleet and Mark Cowen taking the next two they forced a 3-1 lead. Not to be deterred the Legion side dug in and with a victory for Leigh McTiffin followed by frame winning break of 30 by teammate Haydon Mostyn a creditable 3-3 draw was obtained.

Maryport Social added to last week’s win against Station Road with a 4-2 win over Aspatria’s Sun Inn. In the all Division Two clash a first frame break of 21 by Aspatria’s Raymond Miller proved fruitless in a runaway Ryan Ismay win with the Social player also adding a break of 27 in the process.

A contribution of 22 from Maryport’s Craig Stuart took care of the next but with Sun Inn’s two Ben’s, Irving and Scott taking care of the next two it was game on. A close fought victory for Paul Lister gave Maryport the lead and as teammate Andrew Henderson added a 22 break in the last to take care of Rhys Dean the match win was complete.

Division Two’s Derwent Club put last week’s whitewash against Workington Golf Club to one side as they defeated Division One’s Station Road 4-2. The Keswick side ground out their victory with some fine tactical play but it was Station Road’s Tom Thompson and Mark Robertson who produced the two most notable performances of the evening as they recorded breaks of 31 and 25 respectively in the ties most convincing wins.

Workington’s United Club also flew the Division Two flag in fine style as they held Division One’s Flimby Social to a 3-3 draw. Making the most of their home advantage the United Club took an early 2-1 lead but with a frame winning break of 31 from Flimby’s Mike Walker the teams were tied at 2-2.

Sal Cakmak soon put Flimby 3-2 ahead but it was United’s Andrew Mitchelhill with a contribution of 24 who nicked the draw in a finely balanced fixture.

John Street B begun their season (no game last week) with a 5-1 away victory against Maryport Labour. In a match that surprisingly saw no recordable contributions it was Labours Dean Petre who produced his team’s best performance as in obtaining a snooker he required on the colours and eventually dispatching them all to win he thwarted a luckless Stuart Ryan

Senhouse Street Club and Seaton Legion both had free weeks.

Full details on all the weeks results can be found on the leagues website at

Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev   Next >