Shock winner bites dust as well PDF Print E-mail
Written by John Walsh   
Tuesday, 29 January 2008
Vito Shipley After his first round win over the defending champion, Whitehaven’s Vito Shipley crashed-out of the John Smith’s County individual snooker championship.

Shipley had got through over the 2007 winner John Airey but came unstuck in the second round against Carlisle’s Paul Wright.

The west Cumbrian struggled to retain the form that he has been displaying of late, and would have been needed to overcome the challenge of the Carlisle player who went on to record a 4-2 win.

Last year’s semi finalists came head to head in this round - Robert Sim (Whitehaven) and Carlisle player Alan Armstrong, and it was the west

Cumbrian who progressed with a 4-2 win, and after some high scoring games from both players.

Another of last year’s semi finalists Neil Harrison had a home draw against fellow Carlisle cueist Giles Finnegan. He went into a three-frame lead in this best of seven, but Finnegan staged a remarkable recovery as he came back with some gritty play to take the next four frames to win this match and book his place in the quarter finals.

The all-Workington tie between Stephen O’Hagan and Kevin Bassnet had all the makings of a great game, and it certainly lived up to its promise.

O’Hagan took the first frame with the help of a 57 break before Bassnet levelled it with the help of breaks of 32 and 47.

In the third O’Hagan took control and won after knocking in a 59 break but the fourth went a bit scrappy before Bassnet squeezed home to level the match.

Bassnet took the next frame with the help of a 47 beak and put O’Hagan on the ropes.

But the John Street player started grittily and in determined fashion established a 21 point lead with only 22 left on the table. He provided Bassnet with a chance, however, and he cleared the balls to complete a 4-2 victory.

Alan Moore from Workington Cons Club travelled to Keswick for his match against Vince Peet and it was all square after two frame. The third frame could have gone either way but Moore conceded with enough points left on the table to win.

In a see-saw match Moore took the next two frames to go ahead before Peet fought back by edging the sixth and setting-up a deciding seventh frame.

Moore went into an early lead with some excellent pots, before Peet came back with a break of 34 to establish a seven point lead.

Again with the game poised to go either way Moore surprisingly decided to concede, which left the spectators somewhat taken back and Peet joined the quarter-final line-up.

Andy Milliard continued his winning ways as he produced a convincing 4-0 win over Workington Cons Club player Julian Plaza who has been a finalist on two previous occasions.

Former champion Milliard produced high scoring efforts in all the four frames with 50 and 60 breaks his best.

Workington cueist and previous finalist Peter O’Hagan progressed to the next round with a convincing 4-0 win against Mally Lancaster who plays from the Portland Club, Carlisle.

Derwent Club was the venue for the game between Keswick cueist Trevor Hildreth and Mike Park who plays his snooker from the Workington Cons Club.

After a lot of cautious play both player seemed reluctant to open up and play the kind of snooker they are capable of but at 2-2 it was Park who had the better running of the balls and started to take control, eventually winning the game 4-2.

The quarter final draw is: Robert Sim v Giles Finnegan; Kevin Bassnet v Andrew Milliard;  Mike Park v Vince Peet;  Peter O’Hagan v Paul Wright.

Ties to be completed by February 22 and results phoned to Joe Bell on 07753836742.

Bookmark with: what are these?

< Prev